The City of Riverdale provides Repair, Rehabilitation and Reconstruction (R3) HOME assistance for homebuyers purchasing homes in the city. This program is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) HOME Investment Partnerships Program. The grant is administered by the Community Development Department.
The R3 assistance program will provide a one-time grant of up to $20,000. in home repair assistance for 1st time Riverdale homebuyers based on an assessed value sliding scale, not to exceeded $20,000.
Assessed Value Range
$89,999 or less
*Based on the apprised vale as determined by the Clayton County Board of Accessors digest.
- Replacement of building components that have exceeded their life expectancy or due to conditions expected to fail within a two-year period after date of inspection. Using the US HUD residential Rehabilitation Inspection Guide. Appendix C
- Unsafe and used fireplaces.
- Electrical wiring fixtures or systems.
- Heating venting and Air-conditioning
- Roofs, porches, walls and structural load bearing walls
- Exterior siding, paint
- Bathroom and Kitchen cabinet replacement
- Counter replacement
- Appliance replacement
- Small storage shed replacement
- Windows and doors
- Handicap or special need upgrades/removal
Energy efficiency Upgrades
- Weather stripping
- Insulation Storm doors
- Windows heating venting or air conditioning
Luxury Items are not covered. The following items are considered luxury items:
- Flooring such as tile, hardwood floors that exceed comparable costs of vinyl or carpet
- Hot tubs, whirlpool baths, steam showers
- Patios or decks
- Room additions
- Installation of fireplaces
- Widow treatments other than standard window blinds
- Carports or Garages
- Room additions may be approved if they are necessary to install a bathroom facility in a dwelling that otherwise lacks a bathroom or necessary to provide accessibility to the house.
Who is Eligible?
First-time Homebuyers that:
- Meet HUD income requirements (see HUD Guidelines below)
- Are Riverdale City employees
- Low Income Homeowners (see HUD Guidelines)
Maximum purchase price is $160,000.
The application time frame is __February 3, 2020__ to __March 31, 2020_.
Note: No applications will be reviewed until after April 1, 2020.
The Homeowner must select a Georgia Certified Licensed and insured contractor to conduct the work and obtain all permits that are required to perform the work. All work must be completed by November 1, 2020. The homeowner must provide a minimum of three (3) bids for planned repairs. (City staff does not recommend contractors.) A scope of improvements is required to be submitted and approved the City Building Official. The building official will also conduct an initial inspection of the property.
Upon the completion of the work, a final inspection signed by the homeowner, the contractor and the City Building Official is required. In addition, the contractor will provide a limited one (1) year warranty on labor and materials, a one-year warranty on roofing repairs and two-year warranty on the removal of all existing roofing and replacement with a single new layer.
Once the final approval by all parties is given on the completed work, the contractor can submit an invoice the Community Development Department to request payment. No payments will be issued until the work is completed.
HUD Income Guidelines 2019
8 or More
Participants must commit to:
- Home must be principal residence (for a minimum of 5 years) and Homestead exemption claimed.
- Homes must be maintained and fully up to code one (I) year after purchase. Home inspections will be required prior to funding approval.
- Provide proper maintenance to all installed items/components to help minimize premature failure or damage
Default Repayment Plan:
- If the participant defaults on agreement they must pay one-third down within thirty (30) calendar days of notification and the balance must be paid in forty-eight (48) equal month payments starting sixty (60) calendar days after notification.
How do I Apply?
Complete the pre-application. Once submitted staff will pre- determine eligibility and contact the applicant.